Poultry Farming is one of the oldest farming businesses that we have in the agricultural sector. It is an easy and not so complicated business. A lot of people however tend to start small rather than on a large scale. It involves the rearing of various domestic birds like hens, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, etc. for their meat or eggs.
The best part about poultry farming is that it does not require much capital and can be started at the back of your house until you are willing to expand.
Why a Poultry Farming Business
- In Nigeria, at least every house eats eggs or meat from poultry, this is inevitable. For this reason, the demand for poultry products like eggs and meat is so high that whosoever is in this business as a poultry farmer or a frozen poultry meat seller or an egg seller is always in demand and would have to keep supplying no matter what.
- According to research, poultry farming is one of the fastest-growing parts of the agricultural sector in Nigeria. It is worth over $35.5 billion dollars as of 2020. It is said that Nigeria alone grows around 5 million chickens for food every year.
- Nigeria has one of the largest producers of poultry products in Africa. And every year there is a rise in the numbers. The poultry farming business experiences a surge during the holidays especially like the Christmas and New year celebrations, therefore a lot of people rear and sell poultry products around this time. However, out of all the poultry produce, the chicken is the most reared and eaten especially in Nigeria and they are all always in constant demand all year round in Nigeria.
- Recently, there has been a rise in the demand for chicken especially as they are now being used frequently on occasions and celebrations unlike before when more beef, fish and pork were in demand.
Benefits of a Poultry Farming Business
Apart from the fact that the poultry farming business is one of the most lucrative businesses that we have ever had in Nigeria and is still tipping as one of the best, there are other benefits to having a poultry farming business. Some of them are;
1. Little Capital is Required
For you to start a poultry farming business, you do not need so much money at once. You can start with as little as possible. You can start with as low as ₦50,000 for your backyard poultry business, once you get your returns, you can easily expand as much as you want. Most of the poultry birds you need are not expensive to acquire.
2. There is no need for a Big Space
Poultry farming does not require having a very big space when you are about to start, you can start in your compound or a half plot of land. Your backyard is another great place to start. You can get coops and cages made for you to put your birds.
3. It does not need High Maintenance
The structures of your poultry farm need little to low maintenance. All you need to do is develop a healthy cleaning culture and proper hygiene for your poultry and you are good to go. There will be fewer cases of diseases if maintained properly.
4. High Profit in a Short Time
The poultry farming business gives you the opportunity to make a good profit on your business in such a short period of time. For example, in less than 6 months you can start making a profit from broilers which take less time to mature and are affordable. So, most households go for them.
5. It is Easy to Market
The poultry business is one of the easiest businesses to market. Especially during the festive period, all you need to do is to let the word go around that you have poultry at affordable prices and people are coming to get them from you.
6. It Gives Employment Opportunities to Everyone
In the case of a large-scale poultry farming business, there are a lot of opportunities involved. From the cleaning staff to the ones that pick eggs to the ones that feed the birds, there is much work to do and this is a way to give employment to as many that are unemployed.
How to Start a Poultry Farming Business in Nigeria
1. Select the Type of Birds you Plan to Rear
It is very important that you research what works best for you before you start your poultry business and this includes the type of poultry birds that you will like to rear. It will be wise to consider one that lay a lot of eggs like the chicken for example. There are two major types of chicken breeds that you can rear in Nigeria.
- Layers: This breed is mainly for egg production. They produce the most eggs and they start laying from 18-19 weeks and continue until they are 72-78 weeks before they are killed for meat. If you will like egg production in your poultry then you will need to go for layers.
- Broilers: This breed is reared mainly for meat. They grow so quickly that in about 6 weeks they are getting mature to be eaten as meat.
2. Decide Which Type of Farm Size you Want
In setting up a poultry farming business, the location and size of your farm would be very important and crucial to your business. If you want a small scale poultry farm then your backyard or compound is fine. It’s not a big deal if you start small, you can always expand. And a big site can be gotten for large scale poultry farming. Your site must be free from harm, it must be clean and spacious, it should be easily accessible especially because of sales.
3. Construct Good Housing for the Birds
Now that you’ve gotten a great place for your birds, you can start tje construction of the shelter they will be caged in. The housing should be very free and spacious with enough air coming in because of heat. It should also be protected from sunlight as much as possible, there should be running water and it must be hygienic enough.
4. Get your Birds
Once you have all you need for your Poultry business, it is time to get your birds. Be very vigilant when getting your birds so that you won’t get sick ones while buying them. If you are not so sure, you can go with someone who has enough knowledge about these things and can help you get good and healthy birds for your farm.
5. Provide Feeding and Medication for the Birds
One of the most important things your birds need is proper food and medication. This will help to protect them from poultry diseases that are common with farm birds. Also, ensure that they get as much water as possible in order to grow well. Always ensure that their medications and vaccines are taken at the right time.
After you have done the needful, you can go ahead and start marketing your birds. You can start with friends, family and neighbors first then others. You can even get partnerships with hotels, restaurants, frozen food shops to deliver birds to them. Once you get customers you can sell your birds.
The poultry farming business is one of the most lucrative agricultural businesses we’ve had for a long time and because the demands for poultry products are still everywhere, A lot of poultry farmers make money supplying birds and their by-products to people in need of them. So far as you have proper management and plan, you should have a successful poultry business too.