There are billions of ways to make money online as a Nigerian, and one of those ways you can make money is through blogging. Google Adsense is an advertising network that helps bloggers to monetize their blog or website by putting ad units, which means containers that you place on your website to show ads to users. You will then be paid some commissions based on the number of views and clicks on those ads.
Without a shadow of a doubt, Google Adsense is by far the best advertising network for many reasons;
- A huge number of advertisers, which means there is a huge catalogue of ads to display on your website.
- Top brands use and trust Adsense.
- Huge selection of Ad formats.
- High level of transparency.
- Personalized support.
- Vast documentation.
- Adsense gives the best revenue per click.
Unfortunately, some bloggers face rejection when applying for Adsense, while others who have successfully applied can still get suspended for one valid reason or the other. When Google Adsense disables your website, chances are super slim that your appeal to rejoin the Adsense program would be considered. Well, whatever your reason for seeking an Adsense alternative is, here is a list of the best Google AdSense alternatives which are available to Nigerian bloggers.
As we all know, any AdSense alternative that limits sending of funds to PayPal is automatically inaccessible to Nigerians.
I promise to keep updating this list as much as I can.
Why Use an AdSense Alternative?
There are two major reasons why a publisher (such as a blogger) may want to consider a Google Adsense alternative;
- Your application keeps getting rejected
- Your blog or website is disabled on Google Adsense
Let’s take a look at these two scenarios;
Imagine a scenario in which you created a blog and you start getting visitors. Your audience is growing fast and people are reading and enjoying your content, but one thing is missing — You are not generating any revenue in spite of the huge website traffic. You found out that you could be making a good amount of money on your blog by joining the Google AdSense platform.
Perhaps, you applied and got rejected, tried again after some time, and faced the same rejection. While you may feel demoralized by the repeated rejection, there is no need to; It may just be that the time has come for you to try some Google AdSense alternatives.
TIP: If your website is getting rejected by Google Adsense, it is always due to a valid reason. It could range from GDPR/CCPA policy violations to low quality content, or even a poor website design. Contact us for a thorough audit of your website or blog if you are in this situation (or if you want to avoid rejection)
You are already generating income from your blog which has been successfully enrolled on Adsense, only to receive an email from the Google AdSense Team that your Adsense account has been disabled due to invalid activity. Whether or not you think you’ve gone against Adsense’s Terms and Conditions or Webmasters Quality Guidelines, it can be devastating to receive such news. Luckily, there are other Google Adsense alternatives that you can try as a Nigerian publisher.
Best Google AdSense alternatives
Without further ado, here are the top 5 Google AdSense alternatives for Nigerians:
Popads is a beginner-friendly ad network that was established in 2010. It is a pop-under ad network and a lot of websites sites are still making money off it. PopAds generally pay per ad impression, which means how many times ads on your website are viewed. It is a CPM-type ad network which means they pay per thousand ad impressions.
When a new pop-under window opens that contains with PopAds ad, it will then count as an impression. The pop-under window opens when a visitor clicks anywhere on the web page. So it is really easy to earn from this ad network.
Pros of PopAds
- Beginner-friendly. Easy to get started.
- PopAds pay daily; no need to wait until after a month.
- The minimum payout is $5.
- Multiple payment channels; Paypal, AlertPay, and Bank Wire.
- They have good customer support. you can contact them 24/7 via email.
- Good CPM rate. They pay up to $4 or more per thousand ad impressions.
Cons of PopAds
- Bad experience for your users. No one likes sudden popups.
- Increased Bounce Rates due to the Pop-Ups and Pop-Unders.
- Pop up and pop-under ads reduce repeated visits to your website.
Ezoic is not a direct competitor to Adsense. In fact, Ezoic relies on Adsense to serve ads on your website, but it does it more intelligently and efficiently than Google Adsense’s Auto Ads. The only difference, however, is that you do not need to apply via Google Adsense and so you don’t need a Google Adsense account. Once Ezoic approves your registration, then your site should be ready to start serving ads. At a glance, it is hard to tell whether a website is using Ezoic or Google Adsense because the ads are basically from the same source, but Ezoic can be considered as a Google-certified broker and manager of Adsense Ads.
If you have been using Adsense before and your website has been disabled, then ads will not show even if you use Ezoic. Ezoic is the best option for websites that have not been disabled on the Adsense platform, so take note of that.
The Ezoic platform has hundreds of thousands of happy publishers, and user reviews are generally great. Ezoic can even help you earn more by intelligently placing ad units in the perfect places on your website. When it comes to auto-placement of ad units on websites, Ezoic is hands-down the winner in comparison to Google Adsense’s Auto ads.
Pros of Ezoic
- Increased revenue.
- Fully detailed Analytics and Reporting.
- Supports Sticky Ad Units.
- Granular control of Ad units.
- Great Support and Customer Service.
- Ezoic shields you from AdSense policy violations.
- The minimum Payout Threshold is $20.
- Ezoic has an Affiliate Program.
Cons of Ezoic
Minimum traffic requirements – 10 000 monthly sessions.
Setup involves changing your DNS Server settings, which is a bit tricky for some.
Ezoic is not an independent Ad network.
Click HERE to sign up for Ezoic.
Media.net is a product of a collaboration between Yahoo! and Bing. It is the second-largest contextual ads network by revenue. When two internet giants like Yahoo! and Bing come together to power a project like this, then you can rest assured that it is going to be massive. Although more recently, a Chinese consortium called Beijing Meteno Communication Industrial Technology Co., Ltd acquired Media.net for 900 million US Dollars. Media.net has managed to build a reputation as the best Google AdSense alternative and their sales volume is a reflection of it.
Pros of Media.net
- It takes just 2-3 business days for your account to be reviewed.
- Media.net’s minimum payout is $100.
- They support both Paypal and Bank Wire.
- Media.net offers both text and display ads just like AdSense does.
Cons of Media.net
- The ads require double clicks from your website visitors. In other words, your site visitors have to click on adverts twice for you to earn.
- Requires website traffic from three countries only – UK, US, and Canada. If your website has been getting traffic from other countries, you will not earn.
- Unlike Adsense, they do not update the revenue in realtime. You will have to wait for one day to see the day’s earnings.
One very notable thing I do not like about Media.net is that they are more focused on traffic from the US and other top countries like the UK and Canada. So, to sustain your eligibility and make good money, you will need to maintain a good amount of traffic from those top-tier countries.
4. Propeller Ads
Propeller Ads is a Global Advertising network with over 1 billion monthly users.
Based in Douglas, Isle of Man, the company was found in 2011 and since then it has become one of the largest advertising networks in the world. It reaches over 100 million desktop & mobile users a day across 120,000 premium online publishing partners.
The network’s cross-platform ad formats include the following; Push Notifications, Onclick, Mobile Interstitial, Mobile Dialog, and Direct Link (Smart Link).
Pros of Propeller Ads
- Inbuilt Anti-Adblock solution that guarantees 99.9% bypassing of all known AdBlock plugins, supports all browsers and increases publisher’s revenue up to 50%.
- Low minimum payout threshold — Only $20.
- Weekly Payouts.
- Multiple payment channels (PayPal, Payoneer, Bank Transfer, Webmoney, and ePayments).
- No minimum traffic requirements.
- Easy setup and instant account approval.
- Referral program: 5% lifetime commission.
- You can automate your payouts.
- Earnings are reported in real time.
Cons of Propeller Ads
- Poor user experience. Your visitors can find the pop-up ads and push ads repulsive.
- Unfortunately, pop-up, pop-under, and full-page ads are the highest-earning ads on this platform. But users (including me) hate it. However, if you have a high traffic file-sharing or download website, then pop-under ads might work for you.
- Your CPM (refers to the amount you get paid per 1000 impressions) can be ridiculously low if the traffic quality is low if you aren’t getting traffic from top tier English speaking countries. For example, if you run a non-English blog and you would normally generate a CPM of around $ 0.20 on Adsense, you may be unable to generate up to $ 0.05 CPM on Propeller Ads under the same condition.
Infolinks is an advertising network founded in 2007, Infolinks is the third-largest advertising platform that offers ad solutions for both publishers and advertisers worldwide.
They are tested and trusted, and even big brands like Facebook, Amazon, and eBay use Infolinks. Infolinks employ a 45-day payment cycle, which means, unlike other advertising networks that pay weekly or daily, Infolinks takes at least 45 days to process your payout.
Once you reach their payout threshold, you can request your payout. They pay via Paypal, Check and Bank Wire to America-based publishers and publishers from other European countries. But as a Nigeria-based blogger, you can get paid via Payoneer.
Although Infolinks is a non-obtrusive and effective contextual ads platform with an easy approval process, it is not recommended by me. They pay you peanuts which is not worth the clutter they bring to your site’s frontend.
- Infolinks uses contextual ads and a Smart Ad targeting system to show highly relevant ads.
- Just like Adsense, Infolinks offers responsive mobile ads to maximize ad revenue from mobile traffic.
- Offers a variety of ad formats ( InFold, InScreen, InText, InArticle, InFrame, InTag)
- Infolinks features thousands of advertisers in almost every industry.
- Free and easy-to-use official WordPress Plugin for managing ad units.
- It does not clash with AdSense or any other display advertising platform
- No minimum traffic requirement for account approval
- Infolinks Ads are fully customizable
- Not one of the best options if you are looking to monetize your blog
- CPM is extremely low
There is no need for you to be discouraged due to the absence of AdSense on your website or blog. There are many high paying Google AdSense alternatives that you can use to monetize your blog. If you have never gotten an Adsense penalty before, then we recommend, Ezoic, but if your site has been disabled for Adsense by the Google Adsense team, then there is no point using Ezoic. However, a good alternative is Propeller Ads.